1. When you realize the trail has been resurfaced with crushed pea gravel, go a different route. For about six of the eight miles on Saturday, I felt like I was running in snow. My left ankle let me know it was pissed about this after I was done.
2. When running past a group of up-to-no-good kids on a secluded trail, smile and say, “Hi,” then run like hell once you are past them. Pretty sure one of them made kissing noises at me.
3. Explore. I finally found where the trail by my house meets up with my old standby: the Cedar River Trail. It’s about a 3-mile run from my front door. Unfortunately, it’s 3 miles in crushed pea gravel. See Rule 1.
4. If you get made fun of by a passing car, just tell yourself they’re jealous that they’re not out there running. This was during my warm up along the road. And what do I expect when I wear my shorty shorts running shorts and my thighs jiggle when I walk? Not sure what was up with people today except that I ran in the middle of the day instead of early morning like usual. Hmmm…
5. Expect to come across rude people if you run in the middle of a sunny Saturday. See Rules 2 and 4.
6. Keep on the look out for wildlife. Because of my buck sighting in 2009 (yes, I realize it was two years ago and, no, I’m not over it), I am still apprehensive about the arboretum section of this trail. Nothing to report, though.
7. Run easy. Eight miles one day after a 15-mile bike ride and 30-Day Shred is…interesting. My glutes and hammies were sore from cross-training! Luckily, the first four miles are a slow and gradual downhill, which made the first part of my run super easy. The second part? Not so much.
8. Remember, if the first four miles are a gradual downhill, the last four will be a gradual uphill. This is an important one. Write this one down.
|Wheeee! Ouch. (Green is elevation.)|
Sub-2 Half Day 6 – Long Run
8 Miles – 1:19:54
Avg pace: 9:59
Mile 1: 10:17
Mile 2: 10:09 (Mile 1, too slow. Pick it up a little.)
Mile 3: 9:51 (Telling myself to save it for the uphill.)
Mile 4: 10:00
Mile 5: 10:08 (Going up. Reminding myself to use my glutes.)
Mile 6: 9:49 (Let’s just get past these troublemakers.)
Mile 7: 9:41 (Readjust after hauling past the troublemakers.)
Mile 8: 9:54