While reading and watching some of the fitness vloggers and bloggers I like to follow recently, I kept noticing many of them like to have oatmeal and eggs for breakfast. The reason this stood out to me is because I usually only eat oatmeal OR eggs but never both. While I get the macronutrient benefits for building muscle, I was curious if this was just a “eat more calories” bodybuilding thing, or if this was a real thing regular people do. That is when I came across egg white oatmeal.
After getting over my knee jerk “um, ewww” reaction, I found more and more sites on the web that talked about it. The base recipe is super simple, and the add in possibilities are endless. Three ingredients, three minutes in the microwave, delicious and fluffy oatmeal full of protein goodness. This has quickly become one of my go-to recipes for my busy mornings, and especially useful for following a strength session.
If you try this, or have had this before, let us know what you think in the comments below.
Egg White Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats Do not use quick cooking or instant oats.
- 3/4 cup milk of your choice We prefer unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup eqq whites About 3 egg whites, but its easiest to use the kind out of the carton.
- In a microwave safe bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir after 1 minute, and then again every 30 seconds after. This prevents eggs from being lumpy.